Joe Tex - Bumps & Bruises.
• Joe Tex (born Joseph Arrington, Jr. in Rogers, Texas) was one of Southern Soul’s most uncompromising performers blending gospel, country and rhythm & blues into his repertoire. After winning several revues at the famed Apollo Theatre Tex signed to King Records, in 1955 and recorded a succession of singles for the label from ballads to rockers. A session at Muscle Shoals in 1964, with the singer now signed to the Dial label, produced Tex’s first R&B #1 with the straight ahead R&B ballad ‘Hold What You’ve Got.’ Over the next 10 years Tex racked up numerous R&B and Pop hits including arguably his most well-known song ‘Skinny Legs And All’ in 1967 (R&B #2) and ‘I Gotcha,’ his fourth R&B #1 in 1972.
• BUMPS & BRUISES was the first album Tex recorded for Epic Records and was released in 1977 as the Disco era was gaining a powerful momentum. Tex very cleverly, and with hilarious results, adapted one of the Disco era’s new dance crazes, The Bump, and came up with another crossover hit, ‘Ain’t Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman),’ (R&B #7/Pop #12 / UK #2). Tex injects his down-home funky style into the disco realm while playfully proclaiming his reluctance to keep dancing with the lady in question; she was clearly too much woman for him.
• ‘Hungry For Your Love’ was the second single from the album and reached a modest #84 on the R&B charts. Tex delivers a passionate, yearning vocal on this southern style, gospel tinged ballad. This album is much more rooted in the raw R&B and Funk that Tex had become famed for rather than the hint of what the opening track may suggest. From mid-tempo cuts like “Leaving You Dinner” to ballads like ‘I Almost Got To Heaven Once’ through to propulsive funk grooves like ‘I Mess Up Everything I Get My Hands On’, Tex is in fine form throughout proving his raw style could compete with the shiny and slick new sounds in the late 1970’s.
• Before sadly passing away in 1982 Tex reformed The Soul Clan with Wilson Pickett, Ben E. King and Don Covay in 1980, showing how well respected his career had been amongst his peers.
• BBR is very proud to bring you BUMPS & BRUISES, completely remastered and repackaged complete with extensive liner notes and extended bonus content. A must have for all Funk, Soul and Disco fans!
1. Ain't Gonna Bump No More 6:48
2. Leaving You Dinner 3:23
3. Be Cool (Willie Is Dancing With A Cissy) 5:31
4. I Mess Up Everything I Get My Hands On 3:08
5. We Held On 3:26
6. I Almost Got To Heaven Once 3:57
7. Hungry For Your Love 4:04
8. Jump Bad 3:59
9. There's Something Wrong 2:49
10. Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman) (Single Version) 3:31
11. Hungry For Your Love (Single Version)3:14
12. We Held On (Single Version) 2:59
Label : Big Break Records
Ean : 5013929054738
If you want to order this great album and live outise the Netherlands, no problem.
We shipped worldwide en paypments can be done isn $, GBP & Euro by Paypal.
Ask for the right post & shipping amount.
Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org