Spyder Turner - Is It Love You’re After - The Whitfield Records Years (1978-1980).
• Spyder Turner honed his versatile vocal skills with various doo-wop and R&B groups around Detroit. Going solo in the mid-60s Turner enjoyed a strong following due to his show stopping version of ‘Stand By Me’, paying homage to his influences James Brown, Sam Cooke and Chuck Jackson through skilful imitation. His recorded version peaked at #12 R&B in 1966 which ushered an LP of the same name.
• Ten years later Turner was reacquainted with Motown production legend Norman Whitfield who signed the expressive singer. Whitfield conceived and produced 1978’s Music Web, utilising his pool of song writers and a stellar cast of session musicians to inject equal parts Disco, Funk, Soul and R&B while ensuring Turners engaging and charismatic voice was the focal point. Singles ‘I’ve Been Waitin’, a passionate, orchestrally rich groove, and dynamic party stomp ‘Get Down’, more than match contemporary hit releases. The latter was backed with the first, and lighter, jazzier recording of ‘Is It Love You’re After’, later made famous by label mates Rose Royce. Further stand out cuts are the ballad ‘Tomorrow’s Only Yesterday’ and the rasping ‘I’ve Changed’, Turner’s sole song-writing contribution.
• Two years later Turner wrestled control from Whitfield to conceive what is regarded as an even more cohesive LP with 1980’s slickly produced Only Love. Almost entirely written, produced and arranged by Turner the singer added Junior Walker to his session group. Single and title track ‘Only Love’, is an engaging mid-tempo lament anchored by Turner’s committed vocal. Further stand out tracks are the super-charged disco stomp of ‘I Just Can’t Stop Loving You’, the hard-hitting orchestral funk of ‘Let’s Rock (Until We’re Satisfied)’ and the classically styled R&B ballad ‘Sunshine’, written by Whitfield.
• Big Break Records is proud to present Spyder Turner: Is It Love You’re After - The Whitfield Records Years (1978–1980), with the majority of the material released for the first time on CD. Featuring comprehensive liner notes from Stephen Schnee including a new interview with Spyder Turner, this release is an essential addition to any Soul, R&B, Funk and Disco fan’s collection.
MUSIC WEB (1978)
1. GET DOWN
2. IS IT LOVE YOU’RE AFTER
3. I’VE CHANGED
5. I’VE BEEN WAITIN’
6. TOMORROW’S ONLY YESTERDAY
7. YOU NEVER HAD THIS BEFORE
ONLY LOVE (1980)
9. GOD BLESS (THAT LADY ON THE RADIO)
11. I JUST CAN’T STOP LOVING YOU
12. ONLY LOVE
13. LET’S ROCK (UNTIL WE’RE SATISFIED)
14. THERE’S NO LOVE (WITHOUT YOU)
15. YOU CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON ME
16. YOU’RE SO FINE
Label : Big Break Records
Barcode : 5013929067035
If you want to order this great album and live outise the Netherlands, no problem.
We shipped worldwide en paypments can be done isn $, GBP & Euro by Paypal.
Ask for the right post & shipping amount.
Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Verzendkosten / Post shipping : choose 1 cd.