The Intruders - Save The Children.
• By the time The Intruders had released their highly acclaimed album “Save The Children” in 1973, they were already established as one of the leading R&B groups of their era. Having amassed 20 hit R&B singles and three albums the classic line up of Sam “Little Sonny” Brown, Eugene “Bird” Daughtry, Robert “Big Sonny" Edwards and Phil Terry came back together to record their 4th of 5 albums for Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff’s associated enterprises. Widely cited by fans and critics alike as the group’s finest work “Save The Children” is regarded as one of the quintessential examples of Gamble and Huff’s ‘Philly Sound.’
• The title track, a re-working of the Gil Scott-Heron song, sees The Intruders create a more sophisticated sound than on the original, over which Brown sings the socially conscious lyrics. Paul Simon’s ‘Mother And Child Reunion’ is a given the Philly treatment, far removed from the original’s reggae vibe. Single ‘I Wanna Know Your Name’ is a trademark Gamble/Huff ballad, as is ‘Memories Are Here To Stay’, both featuring a controlled performance from Brown with the group adding strong harmonies, and ‘To Be Happy Is The Real Thing’, a mid-tempo feel good slice of Philly soul boasts stunning orchestration.
• Arguably the strongest track in the set is the up-beat and super sweet extended proto-disco work-out ‘I’ll Always Love My Mama’ (R&B #6/Pop #36/UK #32) which gave the group one of their biggest hits, later inspiring Tom Moulton to create a nine minute version, added as one of four bonus tracks. Another bonus track is 1972 single ‘(Win, Place or Show) She’s A Winner’ which became a UK hit in ’74 on the heels of ‘I’ll Always Love My Mama’. The group re-visit their Doo-Wop roots with a cover of ‘Teardrops’ before this excellent and underrated set of classic Philly soul concludes with ‘Hang On In There’, rounding things off with more tight harmonies and a positive message.
• Big Break Records is proud to present “Save The Children”, adding to the list of classic PIR titles released by the label. Featuring two extended Tom Moulton mixes and liner notes by Christian John Wikane, “Save The Children” is an essential addition to any Philly Soul, R&B and Disco fans collection.
1. SAVE THE CHILDREN
2. MOTHER AND CHILD REUNION
3. I WANNA KNOW YOUR NAME
4. TO BE HAPPY IS THE REAL THING
5. I’LL ALWAYS LOVE MY MAMA
6. MEMORIES ARE HERE TO STAY
8. HANG ON IN THERE
Bonus Tracks :
9. (WIN, PLACE OR SHOW) SHE’S A WINNER
10. TRAVELLING HOME
11. I’LL ALWAYS LOVE MY MAMA (“A Tom Moulton Mix”)
12. (WIN, PLACE OR SHOW) SHE’S A WINNER (“A Tom Moulton Mix”)
Label : Big Break Records
Barcode : 5013929064133
If you want to order this great album and live outise the Netherlands, no problem.
We shipped worldwide en paypments can be done isn $, GBP & Euro by Paypal.
Ask for the right post & shipping amount.
Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Verzendkosten / Post shipping : choose 1 cd.